Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Overprotective!?

My mother (I think we are starting to see a trend here), called me overprotective yesterday.  What!  Me?!  Its never a word I would have thought would describe my parenting.  But, its weird, I find myself having these internal battles that I never imagined would be so difficult for me. 


I was called this word after informing her that Joey had just been prescribed something and explaining that I didn't quite feel comfortable letting our daycare lady administer the medicine.  I also may or may not have hinted that I didn't quite feel comfortable medicating him in the first place.  Is that weird!?  It may be weird considering I take aspirin and a variety of other medications whenever something ails me.  So why not for my child, why am I being a weirdo, or (gasp!) overprotective about it?!  And, why can't the daycare lady administer it?  She is licensed, highly qualified, and has been doing this for a long time.  I don't think its out of her range of expertise to put 1 ml of liquid in my kids mouth. 


For me, what it comes down to is, I'm his mom.  No one knows my kid better than I do, and no one cares about my kid more than I do.  If it doesn't disrupt my life in the slightest to administer his meds, why not do it.  If I want to question the necessity of medications, I am well within the normal guidelines of parenting to do so.  It does not make me overprotective, it makes me empowered.  I am not going to sit here and have some doctor tell me what I should and should not do.  I will research for myself and make an informed decision based on what I think is right for my child and my family.  That is called being proactive, NOT overprotective.


I will say, though, I did end up giving Joe the meds.  This is for his acid reflux. I tried to find another way to alieviate his pain.  Unfortunately the only option is a full diet of solid foods, go figure!  Haha so hopefully with time, and progression in the solid food department, we will rid ourselves of this medication and the acid reflux! 


We'll see what happens.  And, for the record, if I haven't made it clear enough, I'm not overprotective.

No comments:

Post a Comment