Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

An open letter to my old body....

It's hard to even think of where to start.  We spent 24 glorious years together.  24 years of being too tiny to fit most clothes designed for people your age, 24 years of being size small or extra small, 24 years of no concern for your weight what-so-ever.  24 years of complete comfortability in your own small skin.  Unfortunately we've reached that uncomfortable place in our relationship.  The point where one of us has to let go. 

Please accept this letter as my goodbye.  I appreciate all you've done for me and the times we have shared, but it's time to let go.  I have moved on.  The body that once used to define my existence is only a distant memory.  No longer will my hips fit into the size 25 jeans I used to inhabit and my saggy tummy will no longer be hugged by your size small shirts. 

And, I'm ok with that.

Something far greater than you has taken over my existence.  I am a mom and my new body is a shining example of what this means.  I actually have hips now.  Hips that I'm sure came from my pelvis separating to allow a life to be born.  My tummy, while saggy, was the home to the most important thing I will ever do.  Every lingering pound on my body, at one point, helped to ensure the safety and comfort of my growing boy.  The stretch marks, probably the most difficult to understand, also have their place.  You can't just buy these stretch marks, I own them as a badge of honor.  They prove that I was a part of a miracle and I accept them with open arms.

While I appreciate the times we had, and sometimes feel lonely without you, I am better off in this new shape.  I will think of you with great pride and the most sincere sentiment.  We had some good times didn't we!?

Goodbye old friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment