Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

San Juan Island 4th of July Extravaganza

Our family (and about six trillion others) travelled to good ol San Juan island for the 4th of July.  It was great.  Besides all the crowds and my subsequent bitchy mood, everything was perfect.  The weather was amazing, our people refilled our love tanks and Joe was a pretty pleasant guy.

Here's what we did....

We decided to take the 6:30 am boat out of Anacortes...this meant we had to leave the house by 4:30 am.  Didn't phase Joe one bit...definitely was rough for us though.




 We checked out the 4th of July parade. 
I think I forgot what exactly a parade entailed because I was not prepared for the amount of noise, people and things that this parade had going on.  Which basically means I am the worst mom ever because this parade was pure torture for me.


 We spent some lovely time in Grammie Cazza's sugar shack of love.  Joe experienced a couple firsts; first lemon (success until he decided to rub his eyes), first face plant off a higher surface (success for the mom because I didn't freak out) and first joint water drinking session with the pheebs (double success because he didn't drown and he was cute).


 Joe also got to see the love of his life, baby Malia.  He greeted her with pokes to the eyes and slaps to the arms.  The love affair is already in full swing.
It was also really great to see Chan and Jacoba.  We feel really lucky to have such close friends that know exactly what we're talking about and can bitch and complain right along with us.



Grandma Caroline's house had tons of fun things for the Joe.  He got to suck on 2 ribs and tried to share with pheebs, nice boy.  He also loved getting into everything at her house including wires AND his new favorite door stopper thingy majiggy. 


Because the weather was so amazing we got to hang out in the grass before our ferry.  Joe loved it.



As we departed a bagpiper was piping away.  It was lovely.

All in all, one of the best weekends we've had in Friday Harbor. 

I do, however, need to work on my attitude in large crowds and places with loud noises.  Joe seems to be a fan of people and noise.  Big sigh.

Lots of love to our islanders.  We love and miss you already!

3 comments:

  1. You were on our island!!! We were at the same parade. This was by far the busiest I have seen it here for the 4th. Wonderful for island families and businesses. I am glad Joe enjoyed it. My little guy was on the movie theatre float " the candy truck" as he called it. I will be posting some pics soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Rick's family lives on SJI and he grew up there! It was soooo incredibly packed and Rick informed me that the 4th is always a huge thing on the island...I had no idea. We also ventured to the pig war picnic for a short while too, but by that time I was sweaty, sunburnt and annoyed with everyone. Cranky momma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL The parade was a little much for me too - and I live here! It was so good to see you guys- I'm really glad you came up!!XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete